Register February 14, 2019 | Submit March 22, 2019 | FREE ARCHITECTURE COMPETITIONS
Re-imagining Utzon’s unbuilt gems
Maybe the future holds another masterpiece on a par with the Sydney Opera House? An international competition sponsored by Spar Nord Foundation invites young creative talents to reimagine Jørn Utzon’s working drawings for some of his unbuilt works, a theatre in Zurich, an opera house in Madrid and the Jeddah Stadium in Saudi Arabia.
Jørn Utzon was brilliant and uncompromising in his work and this was partly why so many of his projects were unrealised. Some of them were spellbinding and, while well-known to his followers and architectural experts, they are largely undiscovered by the general public.
The new international competition, Utzon UNBUILT, is setting out to redress this. Utzon Center is opening up a treasure chest of his designs in the Utzon Archives and inviting today’s talents to propose future projects based around his ideas.
- 4th of December 2018 Registration opens
- 14th of February 2019 Registration closes, submission period opens
- 22nd of March 2019 Deadline for submission/upload
- April 2019 Jury meeting
- May 2019 Winners announcement and online presentation
The winners will be informed directly after the jury meeting in April 2019.
Two project will be awarded the following prizes:
- The 1st place winner will be awarded with a EUR 3.500 travel grant. The winning project will be exhibited at the Utzon Center, where the award ceremony also will take place.
- The 2nd place winner will be awarded with EUR 1.000
The jury will be allowed to award a number of special honoring prizes.
The winning projects will be presented online at utzoncenter.dk/en/unbuilt and they will be published and subsequently used in various exhibitions, dissemination and educational contexts.
Rafael Moneo © Massimiliano Polles
Lene Tranberg © Søren Solkær
Isak Worre Foged
Line Nørskov Eriksen
For more information about this competition, please contact us.